This photograph of the North Front is taken from
St Edward’s, Sutton Park, Guildford mentioned below
TQ012535 LBI 1525 AOS 1525 WBC TM222 Occupier Algernon Hicks. FT Lord Northcliffe
Garden Walls & Pavilion to west LBII C17 WBC
Stable block 10 yds west LBII CI8, C20 WBC
Pevsner says Sutton Place is ….the most important English house of the years following immediately after Hampton Court
The residence of the Weston family. Sir Henry Weston d1592 was succeeded by his son Richard d1613, his grandson Richard d1652 and his great grandson John d1690. Richard was described as a ‘recusant convict’ in the Lay Subsidy of 1628 and John as a recusant in that of 1641. Lady Weston appears in the Hearth Tax return of 1664.
With death of Melior Mary Weston in 1782 the blood of the Westons in both male and female lines was extinct after eight generations. Mary Melior bequeathed Sutton Place to a distant relative, John Webb of Stanton Court, Hereford on condition that he took the name Weston. This John Webb Weston died in 1823 and was succeeded by his son, John Joseph Webb-Weston who was followed by his son, another John Joseph in 1840.
John Joseph Webb-Weston married Lady Horatia Elizabeth Waldegrave daughter of the Earl of Wardegrave in 1847. He died of cholera in 1849 during the siege of Komorn in Hungary and left the estate to his wife unless she re-married. In 1854, however, she re-married and the Sutton estate passed to Thomas Monington Webbe-Weston an uncle of John Joseph Webb-Weston.
In 1857 the male descendants of John Webb Weston were no more and the estate went to his daughter’s son Francis Henry Salvin of Croxdale, Co Durham. Captain Salvin’s tenure was a long one from 1857 to 1904. When Francis died in 1904 he was succeeded by his niece’s son Philip Witham. His wife Louisa was the last catholic owner of Sutton Place.
Francis Salvin did not live at Sutton Place and the house was let to three successive tenants: Caledon Alexander, the racehorse owner, who kept his famous racehorse Thunderbolt at Sutton, Sydney Harrison whose brother, Frederick wrote The Annals of an Old Manor House and Alfred Harmsworth the first and last Baron Northcliffe. At the end of Northcliffe’s tenancy in 1918, the house was sold to the Duke of Sutherland.
Most of the above information has been gleaned from St Edward’s, Sutton Park, Guildford by Dr David Willis and The Rev. Gordon Albion and The Catholics of Sutton Park by Brian Taylor.
According to Annals of an Old Manor House by Frederick Harrison, the definitive source of information about the house and its history, it is possible that some of the fine glass at Sutton Place was brought from Woking Palace. It may be partly by chance, and possibly by some removal of painted glass from the old manor house at Woking, but it is singular that today we find in the windows and quarries of the hall arms, emblems and devices of a great number of historic persons and families, all of whom had some connection with the past history of the manor who had owned it, or had been visitors in it, or were friends and colleagues of its owners. Amongst these may be mentioned, the Beauforts, Edward IV and Richard 111, Henry VII and Henry VIII, the Earls of Arundel, Earls of Derby and Dukes of Norfolk, Archbishop Bourchier, Catherine of Aragon, Sir Reginald Bray, Edward VI, Mary Tudor, Philip of Spain, Queen Elizabeth, Bishop Gardner, Paulet, Marquis of Winchester, Charles II and the Earls of Onslow.
The second John Joseph Webb-Weston became the owner of Sutton Place in 1840 but there is no trace of the house in the 1841 census returns.
Algernon Hicks, farmer of 35 acres employing three labourers, his wife the Countess Dowager of Waldegrave and his step daughters, the Lady Horatia Webb Weston (the widow of the second John Joseph Webb-Weston) and the Lady Ida Webb Weston (her sister) plus Mary Jones cook, Cotton Christian name3 illegible and Mary Woodward both lady’s maids, Ellen Pervis and Elizabeth Lee, housemaids, Sarah Marshall kitchen maid, Thomas Goddard and Charles Bond, footmen, George West and William Trott, coachmen and John Cousin page.
1861 Sutton House. The owner was now Francis Henry Salvin at the time a serving militia officer
John GS Lefevre, clerk and his two unmarried daughters, Maria LS and Mary EJ, Eliza Kemp, housemaid, Annie Potter, cook, Mary Taylor, undermaid, James Denyer, page and George West, gardener.
1871 The tenant was Caledon Alexander who must have been away from home
Four children, Margaret Alexander and her siblings, William Mark, Eveline and Reginald plus a visitor from France, Jernnie Lunusine The enumerator obviously had trouble with the spelling
Ellen Eliza Thomson governess, Hannah Cleare nurse, Sarah Hannah Boutale nursemaid, Elizabeth May Pittman, Susan Walpole, Caroline Mary Punter and Jane Millard housemaids, Esther Biggs kitchen maid and Sarah Chambers scullery maid
John Grist butler, Alfred Gunner hall boy and Alfred Millard, footman
James Cabbe, coachman and his wife Mary, William West groom, Isaac Wardle stable boy and Charles Michaelbarow and James Davis stablemen
1874 Frederick Harrison became tenant qv The Catholics of Sutton Park
1881 There was no recorded tenant. Captain Salvin lived at Whitmoor House.
Thirza Vincent, housekeeper, her son Frederick, daughter Ethel, dairy maid Emmeline Smith, and two grooms, Charles Cooper and Samuel J. Hoare.
1882 Sidney Harrison succeeded his father as tenant qv The Catholics of Sutton Park.
1891Again, there was no recorded tenant. Captain Salvin still lived at Whitmoor House.
John Bishop, gardener and his wife Susanna, caretaker plus two grooms, William Kent and William Gibbs.
1900 Albert Harmsworth, Lord Northcliffe was the tenant from now
1901 Although Sutton Place is not shown in this census, the following may have lived in the grounds
Henry Painter, gardener and his wife, Jane
Sutton Park Lodge
John Jackman, coachman, his wife, Mary and his children, John, Ambrose, Albert, groom, Cuthbert, Frank and granddaughter, Alberta.
1918-57 Duke of Sutherland WNM
Philip Witham who inherited the estate in 1904 and who sold it to the Duke of Sutherland in 1918 lived at4 Whitmoor House. His wife continued to live there after he died in 1921 until she too died in 1945.
The list of Scheduled structures maintained by the Department of Culture, Media and Sport. LBI, LBII*and LBII indicate the listed status of the building. LBI refers to buildings of exceptional interest and LBII to buildings of special interest, which warrant every effort being made to preserve them (Some particularly important buildings in LBII are classified as LBII*.) The age of each building estimated by the surveyor at the time the building was surveyed is given immediately after the listing status.
AOS the building is included in Surrey County Council’s List of Antiquities and Conservation Areas in the Administrative County of Surrey of 1976. The date shown is that which appears in that volume.
WBC the building appears in Woking Borough Council’s Compendium The Heritage of Woking
The 1841 to 1901 Censuses, the year of Census involved eg 1871 is shown
TM222 the Tithe Map reference for the Horsell, Sutton and Woking Maps. These references are correct for isolated easily identifiable buildings but only approximate for individual buildings in groups of buildings eg one house in a street of houses.
WNM Directories published by Woking News and Mail
FT Frank E.Taylor’s Local West Surrey Directory of 1913.
© Phillip Arnold