TQ031572 LBII C16, mid C19 DBRG late C16 AOS C16, C17 WBC JR 109 Lodge House Pevsner says timber-framing of c1600 with additions
Although not part of the site today, Woking Park Farm was within the old Woking Park and probably originally part of the Palace complex
With the abandonment of the Palace by Sir Edward Zouch in 1620, the Park was turned over to farming and the tenants became known as farmers of ye Parke. This new phase probably gave rise to the building of farmhouses in the Park or the conversion of existing buildings to such use. Woking Park Farm House was one of those farmhouses.
According to the Church Rate Assessments of St Peter’s, there were as many as seven farmers of ye Parke in 1675 and this would suggest that there should have been a similar number of farmhouses. Woking Park Farm within the Park would undoubtedly have been one of these. By 1685 there were only three farmers.
The Church Rate Assessments refer to Squire Stimson being assessed for ye Parke farme as a farmer in ye Parke. This we can assume refers to Richard Stimson who continued to be assessed until 1684 when his widow, Anne, is named. It is likely, therefore, that this house was occupied by the Stimson family, who also used the alias of Stevenson, at least until 1685. The house according to the John Holmes survey was held by Richard Porter in 1709.
Between 1851 and 1891 the farm was occupied by the Carter family from whom the name Carters Lane was probably derived. Although vandalised and extensively damaged by fire in the 20th century, the house has since been since been rebuilt and retains many of its originally features. The adjacent farm buildings have been sensitively converted into a private residence.
The list of Scheduled structures maintained by the Department of Culture, Media and Sport. LBI, LBII*and LBII indicate the listed status of the building. LBI refers to buildings of exceptional interest and LBII to buildings of special interest, which warrant every effort being made to preserve them (Some particularly important buildings in LBII are classified as LBII*.) The age of each building estimated by the surveyor at the time the building was surveyed is given immediately after the listing status.
DBRG the building has been inspected by the Domestic Buildings Research Group (Surrey) and their estimate of age is given.
AOS the building is included in Surrey County Council’s List of Antiquities and Conservation Areas in the Administrative County of Surrey of 1976. The date shown is that which appears in that volume.
WBC the building appears in Woking Borough Council’s Compendium The Heritage of Woking
JR 109 John Remnant Map reference. The same remarks apply as for Tithe Map references. The reference is that for the tything concerned unless indicated otherwise.
© Phillip Arnold 2006