The primary objective of this website is to provide historical information on Old Woking village and the ancient parish of St Peter’s, Old Woking. There is, however, an item on this page relating to Brookwood (see link below)

Use of this information (other than in respect of images) is permitted provided that such use is for non-commercial purposes and the source acknowledged. The holder of the copyright of each image is shown where known and permission to use images must be sought from the copyright holder concerned.

This website features the village of Old Woking now part of the commuter town of Woking. The village is, however, the original town of Woking. What is now known as Woking only dates from 1838 when the railway came to Woking Common and a rail station was established there. No building in present day Woking is older than Victorian and the Borough planners are busily transforming what remains of Victorian Woking into modern blocks of flats and offices but here and there some historic buildings have managed to survive.

You will mainly find here details of buildings built prior to 1700 most of which but not all are listed. There being no natural stone in this part of Surrey most of these buildings are timber framed but there are a number of brick houses.

The buildings described are not only those in Old Woking Village as the intention is to cover not only the old village but pre-1700 buildings in the original ancient parish of St Peter’s, Old Woking. Up to 1840 or thereabouts the parish stretched up to St John’s and Knaphill and included Sutton with its Tudor Sutton Place. The other parts of Victorian Woking were in the ancient parishes of Byfleet, Horsell and Perform.

The Menu Bar at the top of this page should be used to find information on St Peter’s church (including its tile collection and the Great Oak Door), early Woking maps, Old Woking houses, the nearby Woking Palace and its Building Accounts and the 1841 census for Woking.

The information regarding Horsell previously available on this site is now to be found on a separate website:


All information provided is also available in downloadable pdf files.



Page last updated 5th February 2015